Smokey tomato sauce:
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon cumin, finely ground
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon chilli flakes, finely ground
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 400g tin crushed tomatoes
1 teaspoon sugar
¼ cup water
4 free range eggs
50g crumbed feta
Parsley or coriander to garnish
Pita bread, naan or ciabatta
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan on a medium heat, and briefly fry the garlic.
- Add the cumin and paprika and fry for another 30 seconds.
- Stir in the tomato paste, chilli flakes, tinned tomatoes, sugar and water and simmer for 4-5 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Carefully crack the eggs into the simmering sauce, cover with a lid and steam until the eggs are set but the yolks are still runny, or until the eggs are cooked to your preference.
- Crumble the feta over the eggs and sauce, garnish with chopped parsley or coriander, and serve with hummus, fresh tomato and bread.